You are here:
 
 

Mockingbird Times - December, 2013

Mockingbird times 

Season's Greetings!

Foster Youth in Action’s Leaders for Change Conference

California dreaming! A lot people visit California because of the great weather or because it is a great tourist attraction. My reason for going to California -San Francisco to be specific- was for Foster Youth in Action’s (FYA) annual Leaders for Change Conference. I, along with four other staff members and a chapter leader from Everett attended the event. For some of us it was our first time going to San Francisco and for others it was their first time on a plane!

Read more

My Day with Assistant Secretary Jennifer Strus

On October 25th, I had the privilege of job shadowing Jennifer Strus, the Assistant Secretary of Children’s Administration, which runs Washington’s child welfare system. Back in June at the Foster Youth and Alumni Leadership Summit, I won the essay contest and my prize was the opportunity to shadow a policymaker.

Read more

Letter from the Editor

Letter from the Editor

Happy Holidays! As we approach the end of the year, there is a lot to be proud of in 2013, as well as many exciting opportunities looking forward to 2014. I want to recognize you, our readers and supporters, for your continued support and advocacy. Together, we are helping improve the lives of our most vulnerable children, youth and families.

Read more

Transforming Into a Leader

This was something I found very difficult as most times only 10% of change is actually visible, while the other 90% is under the surface of your projected character. It’s of vital importance to work through the 90%, and as I explore the depths of my new brain, I begin to turn one single thought over and over in my mind, “What am I going to do for the rest of my life?”

Read more

The Cold, Hard Truth...

I have changed in so many ways since I was eighteen years old, and I could have never done it without the support from my very closest friend and the staff at Rod’s House. I would suggest that if there is a community with a rising number of homeless teenagers, the best option is to provide a community-run organization that can help with job resources and training, food and clothing.

Read more

Our Advocacy Agenda Moves Forward

It’s official! The Mockingbird Youth Network has approved this years advocacy agenda! On November 16th, all six chapters voted on the advocacy agenda and it passed unanimously!

Read more

The Fight

I’ve always been told life is like a roller-coaster
there’s ups, there’s downs,
there’s the times we go around
teetering and tottering, left, right, left, right
there’s always a way to stop the fight
I didn’t choose that,
to escape the fight,
instead i write,
the stroke of a pencil,
the strike of a pen,
i make the paper ignite
with the flame of truth
lighting up the foggy night,

Read more

Blink

Tick, tock time slipping through my fingers
As a baby you cry
One blink of an eye
Then tell your childhood, goodbye
Teenage dreams
Your thoughts burst at the seams
Two blinks more
And nothing is as before
Older now
You are left wondering how
Life passed you by
When you simply closed your eyes

Read more

Chapter Voice

Mockingbird Youth Network: Our Voice. Our Future
Seattle Chapter participants at November’s meeting

Over the last three months the Seattle Chapter has been increasing our knowledge and skills on Washington politics and learning to convey our stories in effective ways.

Read more